One of the most basic issues that we encounter at Service Experts Heating & Air Conditioning in Denver is dirty air filters. They may seem like a very small piece of the overall home comfort puzzle, but the role they play in helping us control comfort is a lot larger than most homeowners recognize. Regardless if it is cooling season or heating season, having a clogged air filter can cause a host of concerns for your heating and AC system.
So what exactly happens when you forget to change your air filter? Here are a just a couple of the side effects you might encounter:
- Decreased airflow. This is easily the biggest problem you’ll recognize when your home’s air filter is severely clogged. The longer the air filter goes without being switched, the more dirt, dust and other particles build up. Of course, this prevents air from passing through the filter as it should, meaning your system is working a lot harder to provide you with the same amount of air.
- Frozen coil. If your system is operating harder because of a dirty air filter, you also run the chance of having the cooling coil freeze inside of the system, because it’s operating overtime to leave you with cool air.
- Total loss of cooling or heating. This is also a threat if your air filter goes neglected for months and months on end. In essence, you will have worked your system so hard that something quits working or wears out and needs to be replaced or serviced.
- Short cycling. Short cycling means the heating and cooling system turns on and off more than it should. When your system short cycles, it could overheat or break down from the added work, which could end up causing damage to your system.
In addition to these, you can also expect:
- A diminished equipment lifecycle
- Decreased energy efficiency
- Diminished air quality
- More dust and debris
- Lack of comfort
If you’re not sure when you last switched out your air filter, it may be a good time to do so in order to get around any likely damage that may come with a clogged air filter. If you don’t know where your home’s air filter is located or you simply have a question about the various air filters we carry, give Service Experts Heating & Air Conditioning a call at 303-647-5853 or schedule an appointment online.