Every year over 20,000 people end up in the emergency room as a result of carbon monoxide poisoning. The odorless, colorless gas is known as the silent killer because it’s virtually undetectable without a carbon monoxide detector.
Carbon monoxide, according to the CDC, is produced by fireplaces, boilers, furnaces, stoves, and gas ranges so it only makes sense that carbon monoxide poisoning increases during the colder months when people are trying to warm their homes. To help keep your home safe, Service Experts Heating & Air Conditioning is here with a few tips to safety keep your home heated.
- Place a CO detector on every floor of your home and replace the batteries every year.
- Keep all possible sources of combustion, such as paper, clothing, bedding, or rugs, a minimum of three feet away from fireplaces, furnaces, stoves, or space heaters.
- Before lighting a fire in the fireplace, always check to confirm the chimney damper is open and unblocked.
- Do not leave portable heaters or fireplaces neglected. Power off space heaters and confirm all embers in the fireplace are totally extinguished before leaving the area.
- Space heaters should always be positioned on the floor, and on a hard, incombustible surface, like concrete or tile. Keep young ones and animals away from space heaters.
- When purchasing a new space heater, invest in a model that turns off automatically if the heater tips over.
- Never use a stove to warm your home.
- Have fireplaces, chimneys, gas or oil furnaces, and coal and wood stoves professionally checked and cleaned annually.
The best thing you can do for your heating system is to be sure it’s not only ready to keep your home warm all winter but also safe, is to set-up your heating tune-up. During your fall tune-up, Service Experts will check to make sure your heating system is operating safely with a total multi-point inspection and cleaning. Call 303-647-5853 today and ask how you can save on a fall tune-up through November 25th.