Winter months in Denver are upon us. In fact, the months of October through February have a history of carbon monoxide safety concerns with 68 percent of carbon monoxide related deaths caused by home appliances occurring during those months. To understand the safety of your home, set up an annual furnace service now, before the peak of winter is upon us.
According to a new survey from Service Experts Heating and Air Conditioning, 94 percent of homeowners know that their furnace can discharge deadly carbon monoxide gas, but greater than half don't do anything to keep it from taking place.
“Carbon monoxide is a colorless odorless gas that can be quite harmful,” says Dr. Lance Broy. “Initial symptoms can be confused for the flu – you can have nausea and fatigue but actually can progress and cause organ damage or even death.”
Any appliance in your home that uses fuels like gas, oil, or wood – such as furnaces, water heaters, fireplaces or clothes dryers – has the opportunity to give off carbon monoxide if the system is not running properly or if it wasn’t installed correctly.
Your annual furnace service company can help uncover any potential concerns. When you have furnace service completed, your technician should:
- Ensure that your furnace isn’t emitting carbon monoxide
- Search for any other out-of-place things that may compromise your safety
- Help you find any additional areas where you may want to end up adding a carbon monoxide detector
- Tune-up your system so that you know your equipment is running at its best efficiency, helping give you peace-of-mind that you’re in an ideal spot to potentially save money this winter
It’s important to remember that many furnace manufacturers could require annual furnace service to keep your system under their warranty. That’s where the experts at Service Experts Heating & Air Conditioning can help. We’re here to help you have not only a comfortable home, but more importantly, a safe one. Give us a call at 303-647-5853 or set up an appointment with us online to learn more about carbon monoxide safety as we head in to the winter months.